Thursday, June 10, 2010

What is garbage?

I took this picture a few weeks ago while out on my balcony. Garbage trucks use the alley below to empty dumpsters from the many condo buildings in my neighbourhood. When I took the photo, I wasn't sure where I would post it - maybe FB I thought. However, after visiting my parents tonight and seeing my mother throw recyclable materials away in the garbage, I knew I had to blog about this.

In the photo you can clearly see milk jugs, tetra paks and various other recyclable materials in the garbage truck's cavity. I was outraged at the sight of this since I know that my building provides a convenient recycling area with bins dedicated to collecting various types of paper, containers and cardboard. I assume many of the other buildings in the area do the same as most are managed by the same company as mine.

It infuriates me that even today, when there is no more disputing the science, people still refuse to act responsibly. This planet we live on is not our garbage dump. Resources are not infinite. It costs more, economically and environmentally, to start from scratch the making of many different products (paper, plastic, metal), and yet too many refuse to contribute their 'trash' to the conservation effort.

One person can make a difference. Together we can save the forests. Please act responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment