Sunday, November 8, 2015

Return to the blog

It's been a long, long time since I was willing to put my thoughts and ideas down in a public forum - at least in regards to my personal life. (Politics is another matter. I've actually been running a (mostly anti-Harper) Facebook Page, The Squeaky Wheel - at least it was anti-Harper up until the election. Lately it seems to have more positive stories that make one feel good.) But after a lengthy hiatus where I journaled off and on and dealt with the ending of my marriage for good, I feel ready to be read again, and to return to my blog.

It occurs to me, perhaps due to my lengthy absence, that blog strikes me as an odd word. Like blob. What is a blob, one might wonder. I recently read an article on climate change in the New York times that included a section about a 'blob' of warmer-than average water off the coast of North America. It was a frightening look at what kind of world we may end up with if we don't take steps to protect our earth now.

But I digress. What I really wanted to talk about today is how journaling can really help put perspective on something your mind may be struggling with. For example, I had a dream this morning that was very clear to me and I kept the memory of it after I awoke. As I pondered the meaning of the dream over the morning, I formed an idea of what I thought it could mean.

Finally, I took pen and paper and wrote about it. And, as I wrote, entirely different and new interpretations began to spring from the insights that occurred to me as I wrote about the experience. By the time I was finished writing about the dream, I no longer thought my original interpretations were valid and I had learned something about myself. Something for me to work on and improve for greater personal satisfaction.

I encourage everyone, if you have an issue, or a situation you are dealing with. Perhaps with a family member, a co-worker, or a health situation. Sit down for ten minutes and write about it. You will be surprised at what your mind tells you.

Well, as much as I feel "full to bursting", and like I could go on and on and on, it is 11:30 pm almost and I have work tomorrow. But, I will be back. I am committing to writing this blog a minimum of five days per week. So, come on back and check out my next posts. :)

Ciao for now! S

No comments:

Post a Comment