Thursday, November 12, 2015

Learning discipline

I'll admit that I did not feel much like blogging today, and it was only after playing around, reading past blogs and comments that I decided I was going to keep my commitment to write this thing regularly (and actually felt inspired to write something).

I've been sick all week, off work since I was sent home by my fellow CSAs Monday, and feeling guilty on top of physically ill. I know that we are short-staffed at work this week and that me being away has made coverage difficult. Knowing that I can't do anything about it doesn't make me feel better either.

And now, I have been hearing on the news that my area is in for a major storm and residents are being warned to prepare in case the power goes out. I have to say, I feel pretty darn prepared! I have 2 4-litre jugs full of water in the freezer, freezing in case the power goes out so that they will help keep the freezer cold.

I also have another 2 litre jug of water in the fridge. Plus food galore, candles, propane in the BBQ and a sheltered area outside if I need to use it to cook on. I have two large pots of water full of water on the stove on low, with their lids on, so I'll have some hot water - for a while anyway. Yup, feeling like a grown-up. The only thing I would like to have that I don't, is a generator.

Not just any generator either. I have some experience with generators and have to say that the Honda brand is the best in my opinion. There may be others that are just as/ or quieter than a Honda, but I haven't come across any yet. I think a little 2000i would be more than sufficient to run anything I could want, (heater, coffee machine, lights, maybe a little stove).

The thing about all this is, I've been thinking since the spring that I should get prepared in case of an emergency, (I do live on the West coast which is prone to earthquakes and wild - and getting wilder - storms). I was caught somewhat unprepared in August, when the poweer went out. I didn't have enough water or or propane on hand.

Well, here's hoping all my preparations are in vain and the power stays on and the storm passes uneventfully.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment